January 28, 2021
Beyond Planning - Realizing the Mixed-Use Environment
APA Central Ohio Webinar Series
The concept of mixed-use is is a key factor in creating great “equitable” places for all. The vision of mixed-use planning, rightly, elicits the feeling of urban energy, pedestrian activity, housing diversity, mobility options, and amenities - but are these ideal visions realized? A panel of city planning, urban design, housing, and descision makers will discuss what they believe is the secret ingredient to well-planned mixed-use environments, and more critically, transforming them into thriving developments.
There is no doubt that Central Ohio will see a lot of growth in the next 50 years. Our region is a national leader in the development of midrise mixed-use buildings; and, for the first time since the 1990’s, our cities are abuzz with proposals for new high rises. Beyond the boom, our cities are in the national spotlight, being called out as the best places to work and live. However, we also know that there is an affordable housing gap that will only worsen unless we get ahead it. Can mixed-use environments be the solution? What other elements are essential to support mixed-use environments? Join us to discuss what planning and design professionals, and elected officials are called to do in order to capitalize on the opportunities and challenges of our growing communities.
Our diverse panel will discuss topics such as:
- What kind of developments are needed to meet growing needs of Central Ohio?
- What makes a “great place” now and 50 years from now?
- The critical role planning plays in setting the stage for mixed-use environments.
- What hurdles slow or prevent the realization of mixed-use projects?
- How do we address the public/civic realm within our urban fabric in order to create welcoming, comfortable spaces for all?
- What are we missing- if at all- that should be included while designing mixed-use development?
- How does the pandemic impact planning and designing of mixed-use environments?
- Identify the development needs, especially around housing, of a growing Central Ohio population
- Evaluate the critical role of ongoing planning, policy, and descision-making in the success of mixed-use developments
- Study best practices and lessons learned from the many mixed-use projects that will be shared
- Discuss the value of a collaborative approach to policy, planning, design, and development to create thriving mixed-use “great places”