- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
- Promotes and maintains positive and effective working relationships and promotes good public relationships as a representative of Licking County Government. Represents themselves, the department, and the county in a professional manner at all times.
- Administers county regulations to ensure compliance of approved plans and investigating alleged violations to the point of compliance.
- Reads and interprets construction plans, grading plans, architectural plans, boundary maps/descriptions, and field observation of compliance.
- Effectuates compliance with applicable regulations by informing, educating, and working with property owners, lessees, developers, contractors, attorneys, prosecutors, governmental officials, and the like to bring non-compliant actions and activities into compliance.
- Investigates and resolves any violations of the various development regulations.
- Works closely with senior planning staff conducting research, preparing written documents, assisting with the review of development proposals and addresses many of the day-to-day administrative functions of the planning staff.
- Maintains complete, accurate, and organized records of violation and inspection records at all times.
- Manages violation cases to equitable and timely resolution which involves coordination among various review authorities while maintaining full and proper respect for those involved.
- Inspects and enforces the requirements and conditions imposed by the Licking County Planning Commission upon variances, Preliminary Plans, Final Plats, and other similar approvals.
- May be required to represent the county in court proceedings related to enforcement actions.
- Operates as a team and as such may require a team effort to complete tasks in a timely manner. This may require staff to assist in duties that are otherwise not considered a part of that individual’s duties in order to ensure this office functions properly and work is completed on time. (Examples may include covering for other staff when they are out of the office, completing large mailings, assisting customers at the counter if other staff is otherwise detained, etc.)
- Conducts research, prepares written documents and reports, assists with the review of development proposals, provides customer service, provides educational resources to other government entities and citizenry, conducts site inspections and fact gathering, maintains records and databases, and other duties as assigned.
- May assemble, collate, collect, and process data into reports concerning population, resources, economy, transportation, health, utilities, pollution, and other subjects pertinent to land use, transportation and environmental planning studies and reports; provides relevant research and data for use in evaluation and presentation of planning problems, preparation of land use plans; prepares maps for comprehensive plans, zoning documents and other planning functions.
- Responds to customer inquiries about regulatory processes and requirements. May provide maps for customers and addresses general planning inquiries.
- Reviews minor subdivision/lot split applications for administrative approval that meet the regulatory standards of the Subdivision, Land Division, Development and Congestion Prevention Regulations for Licking County, Ohio.
- Complies with and promotes the Licking County Personnel, Licking County Planning Commission, and the Licking County Planning & Development Department policies and procedures at all times.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable PERRP safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position and all agency safety procedures.
- Remains informed of current developments and procedures pertinent to duties; may be required to attend seminars/training. Said seminars and trainings may be out-of-town and require travel, overnight stays and weekend time.
Licking County Planning & Development is a great team of people that have the privilege of guiding a fast-growing central Ohio community in various facets of development, infrastructure, and quality-of-life. Our staff consists of multiple planning professionals that have the opportunity to impact our community through housing programs, transportation planning, land use & environmental controls, and community planning. We achieve results through a variety of short-term projects and long-term planning efforts. We currently have a new position open and welcome your interest in joining our talented team.
The Compliance Planner is a specialized position with the Licking County Planning Commission and requires a degree of technical and regulatory expertise. As part of our team the Compliance Planner will be responsible for ensuring our community and our developments achieve compliance with various land development regulations within Licking County (Subdivision, Public Infrastructure, Soil Erosion & Stormwater, Floodplain, and Access Management). This includes the administration of county development regulations and the facilitation of violation resolutions through plan review, inspection, investigation, and communication efforts.
The ideal candidate will possess the following: excellent written & verbal communication skills (reports, regulations, note-taking, etc.); a cursory knowledge of construction and development terms, methods, and practices; the expertise to read and analyze construction, grading, survey, and architectural plans; the ability to maintain complete, accurate, and organized records; a broad knowledge of land planning principles and tools; and strong interpersonal skills with a respectful attitude for fostering relationships and compliance among contractors, engineers, and property owners.
The ideal candidate will be able to: interact with engineers, contractors, attorneys, and residents; investigate and research potential problems or violations; interpret and understand legal language, case law, and local regulations (especially the Ohio Revised Code); inspect projects for compatibility with approved drawings; and problem solve in the regulatory and/or enforcement arena.
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and one year or more related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Five or more years’ experience working in enforcement and/or planning as well as a college degree in Planning or a related field is preferred.
Additional Qualifications (Agency/Dept. Qualifications):
Valid Ohio Driver’s License.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
ESRI GIS experience preferred.
Previous experience in roles as a zoning inspector, plans examiner, or enforcement officer a plus.
Previous experience working as a contractor, draftsman, or field inspector a plus.
Possession of any related certifications or licenses a plus.
Application Procedures: Submit completed application, resume and cover letter to the Licking County Human Resources Department, 20 South Second Street, 3rd Floor, Newark, Ohio 43055. Applications can be obtained in person in the Human Resources Department between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. daily or printed from the web site at www.lcounty.com.
Successful candidates will be subject to Licking County’s pre-employment drug screen.
Licking County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.