- Manages the LCATS section of the Licking County Planning Commission/Licking County Planning & Development Department. Supervise transportation planners and interns. Manage operational and capital budgets for the metropolitan planning organization (MPO). Develops budgets, reviews indirect cost allocation plans, performs employee reviews, address personnel issues, maintain files, respond to public information requests.
- Assures the completion of the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), Safety Program, Travel Demand Forecast Model (TDFM), GIS Data, Traffic count program and other transportation planning efforts.
- Assures conformance with federal and state requirements for transportation planning.
- Coordinate project management activities including consultant contract administration including advertising, selection, and negotiating contracts. Knowledge in the state and federal RFP and RFQ process.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, be a team player, and problem solver.
- Serves as point of contact for routine LCPC functions in the absence of the Planning Director/LCATS Executive Director related to transportation activities.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
- Promotes and maintains positive and effective working relationships and promotes good public relationships as a representative of Licking County Government.
- Provides guidance and training to LCATS and LCPC staff regarding transportation, serves as mentor as they develop their projects, studies and plans.
- Performs comprehensive, in-depth project management responsibilities and conducts professional planning work; manages large complex projects and programs.
- Lead complex projects, plans and studies involving multiple areas of transportation planning. Able to handle sensitive situations involving multiple partners.
- Analyzes data and prepares reports and graphic displays for member agencies and transportation related topics.
- Utilizes various software and application tools for transportation plans and studies focusing on safety, security, short-range planning, long-range planning, environmental, and land use/transportation interface.
- Represents the LCATS in public settings. In the absence of the Executive Director, serves as point of contact for media on transportation related controversial projects and complex studies.
- Leads and oversees the development of long-range transportation plan development.
- Develops and oversees implementation of unified planning work programs.
- Coordinates and assists federal, state, and local public officials’ staff, entities, and consultants in conducting local and regional transportation studies.
- Makes written and oral presentations to public officials, department heads, constituents, media and general public on transportation related topics. Ability to write and present technical materials, press releases and technical documents.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position and all agency safety procedures.
- Remains informed of current developments and procedures pertinent to duties; may be required to attend seminars/training.
- May be required to travel out of state for training.
The LCATS Technical Study Director is responsible for the LCATS, MPO for Newark urbanized area operation. Assures compliance with federal and state transportation planning requirements. Oversees the completion of complex transportation plans, studies and efforts.
Licking County Planning & Development is a great team of people that have the privilege of guiding a fast-growing central Ohio community in various facets of development, infrastructure, and quality-of-life. Our staff consists of multiple planning professionals that have the opportunity to impact our community through housing programs, transportation planning, land use & environmental controls, and community planning. We achieve results through a variety of short-term projects and long-term planning efforts. We currently have a management-level professional planning position open and welcome your interest in joining our talented team.
The Technical Study Director is a management-level position with a significant degree of responsibility and technical expertise. As part of our team the Technical Study Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Licking County Area Transportation Study (LCATS), the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Newark urbanized area, under the direction of the Executive Director. This position oversees a staff of transportation planners and works to assure compliance with federal and state transportation planning requirements and the completion of complex plans, studies, funding programs, and planning efforts including: the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), Long Range Transportation Plan, Safety Program, Travel Demand Forecast Model (TDFM), GIS Data, Traffic Count Program, and the Unified Planning Work Program.
The ideal candidate will possess the following: excellent written & verbal communication skills (presentations, reports, plans, regulations, etc.); a broad knowledge of the transportation planning field, trends, and methods; the ability to lead, teach, and manage others; technical expertise in transportation design, funding, and systems; the skill to organize and manage projects and operations; and excellent interpersonal skills for fostering relationships with local officials, board members, and staff.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in the following: assisting local communities, boards, and/or committees; interacting with engineers, consultants, local officials, residents, and business leaders; facilitating transportation planning processes; working with multiple forms of transportation (i.e. vehicular, non-motorized, mass transit/public transportation, rail, water, air, etc.); MPO required documents, plans, and procedures; and problem solving in the transportation arena. The candidate should also have familiarity with the following: delivering and funding transportation projects; partnering with the Ohio Department of Transportation on projects and processes; GIS mapping and other transportation/traffic related software systems; and operational and capital budgeting.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university; and ten (10) years’ related experience and/or training with at least three (3) years’ management experience.
Additional Qualifications (Agency/Dept. Qualifications):
Proficient with ESRI GIS. Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Office and other related software. Extensive knowledge and use of GIS Data Standards. Expert in federal transportation rules and policies. Expert in Ohio transportation rules and policies. Ability to work independently and lead others. Ability to be covered under the county fleet vehicle liability insurance policy. Excellent presentation skills. Understanding of traffic engineering, TDFM, budgeting, interpersonal relationships, local governments. AICP and / or PE Certification Preferred. Master’s degree preferred. Valid Ohio driver’s license.
Application Procedures: Submit completed application, resume and cover letter to the Licking County Human Resources Department, 20 South Second Street, 3rd Floor, Newark, Ohio 43055. Applications can be obtained in person in the Human Resources Department between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. daily or printed from the web site at www.lcounty.com.
Successful candidates will be subject to Licking County’s pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Licking County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.