PURPOSE: The position of the Senior Planner reports directly to the Director of Planning and Zoning to ensure compliance with the Colerain Township Zoning Resolution and contribute to long and short range planning programs of the Township, including the development and implementation of land use or other township plans and policies and potentially production of graphic content for various departments (including GIS).
SCOPE: Under the supervision of the Director of Planning and Zoning, this position will perform a variety of routine and complex tasks such as: review of site and construction plans; conduct field inspections of signage, new construction, and existing properties.
ESSENTIALS ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES: May include, but not limited to the following:
- Serves as staff to the Township Zoning Commission at regular meetings and public hearings.
- Prepares, researches, and processes cases filed before the Township Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Coordinate reviews with other government agencies, and maintain accurate records of all cases.
- Assist with periodic updates of the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Resolution.
- Prepare GIS related maps, implement and maintain zoning permit software and database, data gathering, and assist the public.
- Prepare Record of Proceedings from Zoning Commission meetings for zoning applications to be included in case files.
- Assists in matters dealing with zoning, including advising the public concerning the rules and regulations.
- Assists in review of plans submitted for issuance of zoning certificates and other matters affecting and relating to zoning.
- Assists in collection of data required for special projects.
- Assists in review of zoning maps and preparation of studies and reports for projects as assigned.
- Review of permits, site plans, and zoning amendment requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
CRITICAL SKILLS / EXPERTISE:
- Knowledge of motor vehicles, personal computers, oversize plotter, copiers, calculators, two way radios, telephones, fax machine, audio/visual and video recording equipment, high intensity computer projections, and other equipment germane to this position.
- Computer skills preferably experienced in Microsoft Office Suite; ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Require a valid operator’s permit.
- Ability to handle situations that require diplomacy, fairness, firmness, and sound judgement.
- Efficient Customer Service.
- Ability to apply Township policies and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret codes.
- Ability to organize and maintain records and analyze data.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with all levels of the Township.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban planning, zoning, and land use.
- Knowledge of municipal state laws governing environmental and land use.
- Knowledge of site plan review methods.
- Knowledge of principles of project management.
EDUCATION, LICENSING & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT:?
- A valid state driver’s license.
- AICP certification preferred or ability to obtain AICP certification. Professional certification in property maintenance and enforcement helpful but not required.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Geography, or related field.
- Must possess a minimum of three years of relevant experience which evidences knowledge of zoning review and processing, planning administration, land development, city planning and zoning enforcement.