Code Enforcement Inspector
City of Medina
Nature of Work: The individual in this classification is under the broad supervision of the Community Development Director, performs administrative and professional work relating to enforcing zoning, property maintenance and other community development plans and adopted codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Enforces zoning code regulations by conducting on-site inspections and issuing violations.
• Works with the general public on a daily basis in a tactful, professional manner.
• Assists with ongoing programs related to the downtown Historic District, including sign and ongoing code enforcement.
• Responds to customer needs for information related to zoning regulations within the City of Medina.
• Coordinate enforcement activities with the city’s Law Department and represent the city in court hearings regarding zoning and/or property maintenance violations.
• Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
• Attends interoffice staff meetings.
• Assists in covering the duties of the Building/Property Maintenance Inspector position as needed due to staff absence and/or departmental priorities.
• Address high grass complaints and follow-up
• Able to perform the physical demands that include but are not limited to having the strength and agility sufficient to climb into and operate a motor vehicle, to climb into or onto various locations at building sites and to climb and descend stairs. Along with the ability to stand and walk during the work day, along with occasional bending, stooping, lifting, kneeling and reaching.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or GED and experience enforcing zoning and property maintenance codes. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred; or
• Any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
• Valid driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio and must remain insurable under the City of Medina’s vehicle insurance plan.
• Theories, principles and practices of city planning, zoning, property maintenance and community development; and
• Ohio planning and zoning laws, as well as federal, state and local laws, regulations, ordinances and standards applicable to planning and community development.
• Word processing and spreadsheet software applications including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office products; and
• Reading and writing reports, correspondence and instructions.
• Operate standard office equipment including but not limited to, personal computer, fax and copy machines, telephone and printers;
• Communicate effectively in writing or orally with co-workers, supervisors and the general public;
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with City employees, other governmental agencies and the general public.
This position requires the employee to spend part of each working day in the office at a desk or computer station and at job sites and facilities. The position includes a high incidence of interaction with citizens, government officials, and other City employees, occasionally under stressful conditions.
May be required to occasionally work outside normal business hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
The City of Medina is accepting RESUMES ONLY for a full-time, non-union, Code Enforcement Inspector. Submit a detailed resume and any relevant certification to:
Medina Civil Service Office
132 N. Elmwood Ave
Medina, OH 44256
OR by email email@example.com
Application deadline is 4pm, Wednesday, July 7, 2021. For more information, visit www.medinaoh.org under “EMPLOYMENT”
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER