AICP Candidate Pilot Program
The AICP Commission recently approved the AICP Candidate Pilot Program to be launched in late 2017. This pilot provides an expanded path to certification while maintaining the current steps to becoming AICP. For more information click here.
AICP Exam | Application
Important Dates for the May 2017 AICP Exam Windows:
Application Window Opens: December 2, 2016
Early Bird Application Deadline: December 7, 2016
Final Application Deadline: December 30, 2016 >>Application Tips
Registration Deadline: April 28, 2017
Testing Window: May 10-23, 2017
2017 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship
Perhaps you have considered taking the exam, but have hesitated because of the $425 exam fee. If you have a financial hardship you may be eligible for a 2017 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship. This program was put into place by APA and AICP to offer assistance to those individuals who may have deferred taking or have been unable to take the AICP exam because of the high cost.
The APA Ohio Chapter has been allotted two scholarship for 2017. Scholarship recipients pay reduced fees to AICP as follows:
- First time AICP applicants: $145 (combined $70 application and $75 exam fee)
- Previously approved AICP applicants: $75 (exam fee only)
Please review the criteria for scholarship eligibility below. If you think you might qualify please send a brief written explanation of how your circumstances qualify (see criteria below). Don't delay – requests must be submitted to APA Ohio no later than February 15, 2017. Please note that the awarding of a scholarship does not guarantee that a recipient will be approved to take the AICP Exam. The exam application will be evaluated like any other. If you should be awarded a scholarship but have already paid the exam fee, APA will reimburse you.
Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Selection Criteria
Interested members must submit a written request to the APA Ohio Professional Development Officer which includes the following:
- An explanation of your financial hardship (including financial hardship caused by a budget cutback in a firm or agency). Examples of financial hardship include but are not limited to:
- The applicant’s employer will not subsidize the exam fee.
- The applicant will be otherwise unlikely to take the exam without the reduced fee.
- A short summary of your education and work experience indicating briefly how your level of education and professional planning experience meet the AICP certification eligibility requirements.
- Optional – information on your ethnicity and/or race. Because APA, AICP and APA Ohio are committed to increasing the diversity of the organization, members of ethnic or racial minorities will be given preference, all things being equal.
Submit a written scholarship request to APA Ohio at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address your scholarship request to Professional Development Officer Kyle Ezell no later than February 15, 2017.
For more information about the AICP exam application, visit www.planning.org/certification.
An application template can be found at https://www.planning.org/certification/examapplicationtemplate.rtf
AICP Exam | Prep
Beginning in 2013, APA Ohio has been conducting a survey of Ohio members who have been approved to take the AICP test. Once the testing period is opened, APA Ohio sends out an invitation to take the survey to all those who have been approved to take the exam. Our hope is that we will develop a robust data base of information on how much time and effort it takes to both apply for and study for the AICP exam, and advice on the best study materials and test taking tips. So far, a total of 62 members have participated in the survey, and the results to date are summarized HERE.
NEW! 2016 OKI Conference Prep Course - Presentation PDF
Chapter Presidents Council CPC Study Manual
APA's Chapter Presidents Council is pleased to offer the CPC Study Manual for those who are preparing to take the American Institute of Certified Planners written examination. Should you decide to purchase the manual, we hope you will find it a useful resource.
The purpose of this self-study manual is to help review basic planning concepts and to practice skills that are necessary for taking a multiple-choice test.
Copies may be purchased for $10.00 plus $3.75 shipping (shipping rate subject to change) by emailing email@example.com.
APA Chapter Study Materials