Associate GIS Specialist
Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC)
The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) is seeking an enthusiastic and qualified Associate GIS Specialist to join our GIS team within the Data & Mapping Department. A strong candidate will possess the right combination of technical expertise, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and self-motivation; and will have a passion for using spatial data to understand and address community needs, with a particular focus on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. GIS skills, acquired through a combination of formal education, training, and work experience are a must, as spatial data collection, creation, analysis, and map preparation fall within the normal responsibilities for this position. Increasingly, our mapping work is becoming more digital with a focus on webmap creation and the publication of spatial data through MORPC's open data portal, so working with and managing online mapping resources is also a key role for the Associate GIS Specialist. While this is a junior-level GIS position, the ability to independently manage a diverse workload, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines is important to success.
The Data & Mapping team manages MORPC's internal data resources and provides data collection, analysis, and visualization support to the agency's other departments in areas ranging from Planning & Sustainability, to Transportation & Infrastructure Development, to Residential Services, to Communication & Engagement. Externally, we work directly with local governments, community partners, and residents to meet their data and mapping needs. The Data & Mapping team is also responsible for furthering MORPC's Regional Data Agenda (Download PDF reader), which outlines our role as a regional leader in
Examples of Duties
- Serves as project manager for Data & Mapping projects and as Data & Mapping lead on projects initiated by other MORPC departments
- Maintains web-based mapping and open data resources, and coordinates provision/acquisition of online map services
- Assists in the implementation of project plans including schedules, resources, tasks, and work assignments for GIS projects with supervisor and senior staff oversight
- Prepares maps used in planning studies, policy analysis, and other agency projects
- Performs quality assurance on large data sets
- Conducts data analysis using GIS applications
- Collaborates in updating and expanding agency geodatabases, including collection and integration of data into the agency data system
- Creates support documentation outlining procedures
- Conducts effective customer service and reporting procedures
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and participating in professional organizations
- A bachelor's degree in geographic information systems, computer science, geography, planning, or a related field or two years of direct, GIS-related experience
- Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS 10.x and ArcGIS Online
- Solid understanding of data management and relational databases, and an enthusiasm for metadata
- Demonstrated cartographic skills; prior experience presenting critical information through attractive and meaningful maps
- Analytical/problem solving skills and genuine enthusiasm about finding creative solutions
- Strong communication skills and a positive approach to working with peers, the public, and outside agencies
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the region
Additional desired skills (like-to-have):
- An advanced degree in geographic information systems, computer science, geography, planning, or a related field
- Experience managing file geodatabases in ArcServer
- Experience with ESRI ArcPro, Portal, Open Data, and other web-mapping platforms
- Experience with applying spatial statistics and methods to analyze land use, environmental conditions, and social equity
- Coding, software, and database development skills, especially Python, R, and SQL
MORPC serves as a resource for local officials as they make decisions about economic growth, development, transportation, energy, and environmental sustainability. Through a variety of transformative programs and services, we work to improve the lives of all Central Ohio residents and make the region stand out on the world stage.
We recognize that a healthy work/life balance is key to the long-term success of our employees and our organization, and we provide robust benefits to promote that balance. MORPC employees receive a free system-wide transit pass and discounted access to other alternative transportation modes to provide options for commuting to work. We encourage all employees to pursue opportunities for professional and personal growth through generous tuition reimbursement and participation in local and national organizations. We also offer flexible schedules and remote work options to support the individual needs of our team members.
One of Central Ohio's greatest strengths is the diversity of our communities, and to best serve our region, MORPC strives to reflect that diversity. Our work is made better when our team can draw on a wide range of personal experiences and backgrounds, and when each member is open to learning from the experiences of others, both internally and externally. As an equal opportunity employer, we fully support all applicable state and federal laws and regulations and do not discriminate against applicants for employment or employees because of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or other handicap, genetic information, marital/familial status, veteran status, or income or status with regard to public assistance in any aspects of our personnel policies, working conditions or relationships with employees and applicants for employment.
Excellent benefit package. MORPC is an EOE/AAP employer. Please apply online at http://www.morpc.org/careers/ or you may mail a resume to or complete an application at MORPC, 111 Liberty St., Suite 100, Columbus, OH 43215 ATTN: D&M-1-20
Due to the high number of expected applicants we cannot accept phone call inquiries.