APA Ohio offers its members support in preparing to take the AICP exam and maintaining an active status. Webcast presentations from the Planning Webcast Consortium, which can be viewed by any person belonging to a Consortium member, are also available.
Workshop presentations from our local, state, and regional conferences are available for download along with support materials for those preparing to take the AICP exam and for those wanting to maintain an active status. Check individual section pages for information about upcoming workshops in your area.
APA Ohio also offers a variety of scholarships, both for students and professionals, to help offset costs to national, regional, and local events.
AICP & CM
About AICP Certification
Taking the AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) exam is the first step to become a certified planner. To qualify, one must be a current APA National member, submit an online application meeting certain education and experience criteria, and pass an examination. To learn more about how you can prepare for and pass the AICP examination, click here. For a quick reference guide to the AICP Certification process, click here.
APA Ohio supports the professional development of its members. APA Ohio and its six sections throughout the state provide periodic workshops and conferences to help you gain knowledge and network with others as you work towards your AICP certification.
CM Tracking Log
All AICP members are required to engage in mandatory continuing education. All professional development activities must be approved and registered to be eligible for CM credit and recorded into your online CM log. To register or log into your CM Tracking Log, click here.
Many of APA Ohio's Planning and Zoning Workshops, Regional Conferences, State Conferences and Sponsored Events have CM accredited sessions!
- Click here to see APA Ohio's events calendar.
- For a list of fee-based audio and web conferences with CM credits available through APA National, click here.
- For a list of free audio and web conferences with CM credits available through Chapters and Divisions, click here.
Obtaining CM Credit for Your Event
If you have an upcoming event that you'd like approved for CM credit, click here and you'll be directed to a CM provider page through APA National's website. APA Ohio Sections do support various local events and help by acting as the provider for CM credit. If you would like to pursue a potential partnership with a specific APA Ohio Section for your event, please contact the Section Director.
AICP Candidate Pilot Program
The AICP Commission recently approved the AICP Candidate Pilot Program to be launched in late 2017. This pilot provides an expanded path to certification while maintaining the current steps to becoming AICP. For more information click here.
AICP Exam | Application
Important Dates for the May 2019 AICP Exam Windows:
Application Window Opens: December 3, 2018
Early Bird Application Deadline: December 10, 2018
Final Application Deadline: December 28, 2018 >>Application Tips
Registration Deadline: April 30, 2019
Testing Window: May 6-20, 2019
2019 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship
Perhaps you have considered taking the exam, but have hesitated because of the $425 exam fee. If you have a financial hardship you may be eligible for a 2019 Reduced Exam Fee Scholarship. This program was put into place by APA and AICP to offer assistance to those individuals who may have deferred taking or have been unable to take the AICP exam because of the high cost.
APA Ohio has been allotted two scholarship for the May 2019 testing window. Scholarship recipients pay reduced fees to AICP as follows:
- First time AICP applicants: $145 (combined $70 application and $75 exam fee)
- Previously approved AICP applicants: $75 (exam fee only)
- The awarding of a scholarship does not guarantee that a recipient will be approved to take the AICP Exam. The exam application will be evaluated like any other.
- If you should be awarded a scholarship but have already paid the exam fee, APA will reimburse you.
- AICP Candidate participants will be considered last, as the fee to sit for the exam is already greatly reduced.
Reduced AICP Exam Fee Scholarship Selection Criteria
Interested members must submit a written request to APA Ohio which includes the following:
- An explanation of your financial hardship (including financial hardship caused by a budget cutback in a firm or agency). Examples of financial hardship include but are not limited to:
- The applicant’s employer will not subsidize the exam fee.
- The applicant will be otherwise unlikely to take the exam without the reduced fee.
- A short summary of your education and work experience indicating briefly how your level of education and professional planning experience meet the AICP certification eligibility requirements.
- Optional – information on your ethnicity and/or race. Because APA, AICP and APA Ohio are committed to increasing the diversity of the organization, members of ethnic or racial minorities will be given preference, all things being equal.
Submit a written scholarship request to APA Ohio at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 31, 2019.
AICP Exam | Prep
Beginning in 2013, APA Ohio has been conducting a survey of Ohio members who have been approved to take the AICP test. Once the testing period is opened, APA Ohio sends out an invitation to take the survey to all those who have been approved to take the exam. Our hope is that we will develop a robust data base of information on how much time and effort it takes to both apply for and study for the AICP exam, and advice on the best study materials and test taking tips. So far, a total of 78 members have participated in the survey.
>> View Results
2017 APA Ohio Planning Conference Prep Course - Presentation PDF
*Join us at the 2018 OKI Conference in Cincinnati for another live prep course!*
Chapter Presidents Council CPC Study Manual
APA's Chapter Presidents Council is pleased to offer the CPC Study Manual for those who are preparing to take the American Institute of Certified Planners written examination. Should you decide to purchase the manual, we hope you will find it a useful resource.
The purpose of this self-study manual is to help review basic planning concepts and to practice skills that are necessary for taking a multiple-choice test.
Copies may be purchased for $15.00 HERE.
APA Chapter Study Materials
Election to Fellow (FAICP) is one of the highest honors that the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) bestows upon a member. Below are the biographies of APA Ohio Fellows. For more information on the FAICP process and the work they promote, click here and you will be directed to the National APA site.
APA Ohio is proud to have twenty-one FAICP members within our membership!