City of Niles
Pay Range: $55,000 - $65,000
This position is accountable for overseeing comprehensive zoning requirements, community development, infrastructure capital improvement plans, departmental strategic planning, and the administration of various grant and economic development programs for the City.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Development of grant applications including various local, state, and federal grant programs.
• Administers federal and state economic development programs.
• Research and data collection/analysis of various grant funding opportunities.
• Coordination with prospective grantees and organizations.
• Creation and revise current comprehensive plans to define the priorities of future planning.
• Develop and implement project tracking systems to ensure the timely contracting and implementing of grant funded projects.
• Scheduling/hosting of public meetings, preconstruction conferences, and planning development for proposed grant projects.
• Keeps abreast of local, state, and federal grant programs and compliance requirements.
• Maintains a relationship with local, state, and federal agency officials to ensure that the city follows all grant requirements.
• Implements and coordinates grant funded capital improvements and other projects and programs with individual departments and relevant stakeholders.
• Responsible for conducting research and compiling data/historical information for the various comprehensive plans and studies undertaken by the city.
• Acts as liaison and represents the city with public and private agencies.
• Assists with the preparation of grant and planning reports.
• Collaborates with department supervisors to provide grant writing, research, and technical assistance.
• Implements action plans and goals related to planning and urban redevelopment in accordance with city needs, vision, and demographic trends.
• Research and data collection/analysis of zoning, land use patterns, and development ordinances.
• Attend Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, Metropolitan Planning Organization, or similar meetings, as necessary.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Ability to attend and testify at public meetings regarding development plans and land use.
• Ability to conduct field investigations.
• Ability to assess development site plans.
• Ability to research and study economic and environmental reports, census data, and market research.
• Ability to create feasibility studies.
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal grant and economic development programs.
• Knowledge of current on city codes, regulations, and other relevant legal issues.
• Knowledge of theories, principles, and practices related to land-use planning and development.
• Computer proficiency and knowledge of standard office software programs (Microsoft Office) and other software utilized by the Department and the City.
• Computer proficient with GIS systems and associated mapping databases/software.
• Ability to make decisions in accordance with the laws, ordinances, regulations, and department policies and procedures.
• Maintain confidentiality of all information obtained.
• Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with other employees and the public.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, or Public Administration or related field.
• American Institute of Certified Planners Certifications (Preferred)
• Local Public Agency (LPA) Certification (Preferred) or ability to obtain
• Four years of experience in urban planning, public administration; OR
• Four years of experience in grant writing and research; OR
• Four years of civil engineering.
• Experience in a supervisory position in a union environment (Preferred)
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions
• Able to communicate via phone, radio and in person and exchange accurate information in such situations
• Able to sit, stand, lift, bend, walk, etc.
• Ability to handle emergencies in all weather conditions at varying times
• Ability to handle high pressure situations calmly