City of Cleveland
Pay Range: $75,000.00 - $105,000.00 Annually
The City of Cleveland is seeking a qualified individual to manage the City’s efforts to foster inclusive neighborhood revitalization on the east side of Cleveland. Mayor Bibb made a bold commitment to revitalizing the east side, with a focus on attracting $5 billion of investment into the long-disinvested southeast side neighborhoods of Mt. Pleasant, Union Miles, and Lee Harvard. The City, working closely with community stakeholders and partners, has important groundwork to lay to attract this investment, coordinate and focus existing efforts across the City, develop organizational capacity in neighborhoods to facilitate the investment, and ensure development benefits residents and community.
The Senior Strategist will be the City’s lead on southeast side revitalization, coordinating a cross-functional team across the City and with external partners on strategy, planning, code enforcement, incentive development, site acquisition and preparation, marketing, business attraction, community engagement, and real estate development. Many people inside and outside the City continue to play a role in shaping and developing this effort, but the Senior Strategist will be a dedicated point person to ensure all efforts are aligned and moving forward.
The Senior Strategist will work with partners from Cleveland City Council, nonprofit partners and neighborhood organizations, philanthropic and financial institutions, and many others to help shape and achieve our collective vision.
- At least six years of full-time paid progressively responsible administrative, supervisory and management experience.
- Professional experience in real estate development, community development, economic development, or community organizing.
The Senior Strategist’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Define the vision and investment rationale for the southeast side, building off the Mayor and partners collective visions
- Provide full time focus and attention to leading the City’s efforts on the southeast side
- Strategically lead all aspects of implementing the collective vision for southeast side revitalization, including coordinating with city departments and partners on planning, code enforcement, incentive development, site acquisition and preparation, marketing, business attraction, community engagement, and real estate development
- Identify existing resources and programs within City Hall and create a strategy for implementing those resources and programs in a more focused and targeted approach in the southeast side geography
- Lead City efforts to implement programs and initiatives coming out of a series of collaborative planning efforts, including but not limited to Partnership for Equitable and Resilient Communities, Bloomberg-Harvard Collaborative Problem Solving Track, and the City’s development of a plan for the revitalization of the southeast side
- Coordinate and ensure alignment of southeast side efforts across relevant City departments (including but not limited to economic development, community development, planning, building & housing, public works, public health, education, aging, community relations, youth and family success, Mayor’s office of capital projects), as well as with external partners, integrating each department’s specific subject matter expertise
- Manage individual development projects on the southeast side on behalf of the City, communicating with the development teams, ensuring predevelopment milestones are met, and vetting requests for public assistance
- Coordinate with nonprofit and neighborhood organizations and Councilpersons
- Design and make presentations on programs to key stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Professional Qualifications and Skills Required
- Demonstrated ability to work across departments and outside organizations to achieve results.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Self-motivated and able to define and evaluate their success.
- Demonstrated skill in the development and maintenance of effective working relationships with all levels of executive and managerial personnel, various governmental agencies, and other key stakeholders.
- Experience working in diverse communities and with broad networks of stakeholders. Community organizing experience a plus.
- Experience with working in housing and commercial development including the use of Federal, State, and tax credit funding.
- Strategic thinker.
- Strong level of emotional intelligence and social awareness.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills.
- Effective at building and maintaining interpersonal relationships.
- Commitment to equitable economic development and inclusive growth.
- Knowledge of and experience working with business development organizations and ecosystem as well local nonprofit and neighborhood organizations.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to work expeditiously in a deadline driven environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Mayor Bibb is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce, which includes building an environment that respects the individual, promotes innovation, and offers opportunities for all employees to develop to their full potential. A diverse workforce helps the City realize its full potential. The City benefits from the creativity and innovation that results when people with different experiences, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds work together. The Team is committed to providing equal employment