Director of Community Development
Village of Wheeling
Director of Community Development, Wheeling, IL (pop. 38,878). Incorporated in 1894, and 27 miles northwest of Chicago, the Village of Wheeling originated as an overnight rest stop for travelers journeying from Chicago to the Wisconsin Territory. The inns, taverns, and eateries established in the 1830’s developed into Wheeling’s Restaurant Row. In step with the growth of Metro Chicago, Wheeling emerged as a center for industry and commerce.
Today, Wheeling residents and business owners enjoy the vibrant neighborhoods, public amenities, and community spirit fostered by this rich heritage. The Village seeks a community development leader prepared to meet the demands of a community undergoing significant redevelopment and revitalization.
The Community Development Department’s services include land use planning and zoning, health, inspections, code enforcement and customer service (permitting). Wheeling is a full-service community. In addition to Community Development, services also include Police, Fire/EMS, Public Works and Engineering, Information Technology, Finance, Human Services, Clerk and Administration (HR, legal, and economic development).
The Director of Community Development is responsible for leading a department of 12 full-time and three part-time employees, and manages a budget of approximately $ 1.8 million. The position reports to the Village Manager.
Qualified candidates should have:
• A Bachelor’s degree in planning, engineering, public administration or related field. A Master’s degree in one of those disciplines, or related field, is desired;
• Five to seven years of municipal experience with significant exposure to planning and development functions, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education;
• Minimum of three years supervisory experience;
• A collaborative and communicative approach to work;
• Strong managerial and leadership skills;
• Comfort working with an array of stakeholders including elected officials, Village employees, developers, real estate agents, and residents; and a
• Passion for work in a demanding, rewarding and collegial environment.
A starting salary range is $150,000 - $155,000 /- DOQ, and an excellent benefit package is offered.
Candidates should apply by March 2, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.