Neighborhood Business and Real Estate Specialist
Shaker Heights Development Corporation
Shaker Heights Development Corporation (SHDC) is seeking a self-motivated, resourceful, and personable individual to join our team. The Neighborhood Business and Real Estate Specialist will work with business owners, property owners, entrepreneurs, residents and stakeholders in Shaker Heights’ two primary commercial districts: the emerging Chagrin-Lee commercial corridor and the Greater Van Aken Commercial District. The position will be responsible for providing outreach and technical assistance to Shaker businesses to support their growth and sustainability.
The Neighborhood Business and Real Estate Specialist will engage in a variety of business support strategies as well as real estate matters. An energetic team player who is able to develop and maintain relationships, responsive to business owner’s needs and works as an integral part of the team is required to further revitalization efforts in the community.
The Neighborhood Business and Real Estate Specialist will be responsible for:
• Cultivating and maintaining relationships with local Shaker businesses to help ensure the overall economic health of the commercial districts.
• Assisting the Executive Director with real estate projects including but not limited to pre-development planning, property research and acquisition, assist with the creation and management of real estate development budgets and proformas, pursuit of funding opportunities, garnering local approvals, reporting, promotion, and coordination of community meetings, supporting the new community-based Real Estate Revitalization Fund and staffing SHDC Real Estate Committee meetings.
• Grant research and writing
• Convening and staffing business association meetings on a monthly basis
• Knowledge of existing programs to assists mall business development
• Provide entrepreneurs with site selection information about The Dealership and Chagrin-Lee corridor monthly and as needed.
• Assisting with social media management with the goal of raising awareness about The Dealership’s resources among targeted audiences (minority and women-owned businesses and entrepreneurs).
• Position works collaboratively and in coordination with city’s Economic Development Department
Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience) in urban studies, non-profit administration, business administration, real estate development or related field
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and solutions oriented
• Ability to work independently and problem solve
• Strong planning and organizational skills and the ability to think strategically in the design and execution of projects
• Able to build rapport and relationships in community, business and institutional settings
• Experience in community organizing, fundraising/grant writing and/or public speaking is a plus
• Creative approaches toward problem solving
• Works independently and in a team environment
• This is a full-time position requiring at least 37.5 hours of work. Must have reliable transportation.
• Must be comfortable working in various settings including businesses and residential communities and with diverse groups of people.
Compensation and Benefits
Annual salary of $35,000 to $40,000, commensurate with experience. 20 days of PTO and 11 paid holidays. Flexible work from home and in office hybrid model is possible.
To apply: email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Application deadline is June 20, 2021.
The mission of the Shaker Heights Development Corporation (SHDC) is to enhance the commercial revitalization efforts in order to strengthen residential neighborhoods and diversify the City’s tax base. To that end, SHDC envisions an enriched community that seamlessly blends our innovative history into a vibrant future by fostering entrepreneurial opportunities and stimulating sustainable economic growth. As a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization, SHDC is committed to enhancing the commercial districts in Shaker Heights through economic development and place-based physical development strategies.